Neck and back pain can be extremely debilitating, making it very difficult to go about your typical day. Dr. Stephen Courtney cares for patients with neck and back pain using a wide array of the most state-of-the-art spine care methods and techniques – from conservative physical therapy and injection therapy – to advanced pain management, as well as surgical intervention.
What causes neck and back pain?
The reasons behind neck and back pain vary, but they all come down to how we position ourselves while standing, moving, and – most important of all – sitting. Even with today’s technology, the exact cause of neck and back pain is difficult to determine. In most cases, neck and back pain may have many different causes, including any of the following:· Overuse, strenuous activity, or improper use, such as repetitive or heavy lifting
· Trauma, injury, or fractures
· Degeneration of vertebrae, often caused by stresses on the muscles and ligaments that support your spine, or the effects of aging
· Abnormal growth, such as a tumor or bone spur
· Obesity, which places increased weight on your spine, and pressure on your discs
· Poor muscle tone
· Muscle tension or spasm
· Sprain or strain
· Ligament or muscle tears
· Joint problems, such as arthritis
· Protruding or herniated (slipped) disk and pinched nerve
· Osteoporosis and compression fractures
· Congenital (present at birth) abnormalities of your vertebrae and bones
· Abdominal problems, such as an aortic aneurysm
Pain that occurs suddenly in your back or neck, due to an injury, is considered to be acute pain. Acute pain comes on quickly and may leave sooner than chronic back or neck pain. This type of pain should not last more than 6 weeks. Pain that may come on quickly or slowly and lingers for weeks, 3 months or greater, is considered to be chronic pain. Chronic pain is less common than acute pain.
Call Dr. Stephen Courtney at Advanced Spine Center today!
If you’re suffering from persistent neck and/or back pain, it’s time to schedule a consultation with Dr. Courtney. Selected as one of Dallas’ Best Doctors by D Magazine, Dr. Courtney is known for his straight-forward, honest approach and operates only if clearly indicated with proven techniques which has earned him an excellent reputation among his professional colleagues, medical peers and patients. Call us at 972-499-5457 to schedule your appointment today.